We’ve had some really good times with maxi dresses, but it seems that last summer’s fling is coming to an end. This summer, we’re starting a new love affair with maxi skirts. Like all things worthwhile, maxi skirts can be intimidating at first. But fear not ladies, these skirts are actually versatile and suitable for all shapes and sizes, as long as you choose well. Boho chic is the perfect summer trend – simple, effortless and free-spirited! We’ve assembled a few of our favourite maxi skirt looks:
1. For Pleats Sake: Pleats are having a major moment this summer, so naturally, they make the maxi skirt so much more amazing. We love seeing pleats on maxi skirts in solid colours, paired with a simple tank like Lauren Conrad. If its your first maxi skirt, go for a solid colour with feminine pleats, and dress it with a simple white tank. Remember, since you’re modest at the bottom, its ok to show some skin on top and even go for a tighter fit. For an added boho-chic look, add a long necklace or a head band.
2. Short and Sweet: A lot of shorter girls are intimidated by the super length of maxi skirts. But, its actually amazing how beautiful these skirts look when paired with heels. Check out how tall Kim Kardashian looks in her maxi skirt, despite being only 5’2. Another lesson from Kim – if you’re on the curvy side, or have very broad shoulders, wearing a maxi skirt with some slits balances your figure.
3. Ready for Romance: Kate Bosworth’s outfit is perfect for falling in love! The combination of pastels with a touch of sparkle is ultra romantic! We really like Kate’s high-wasted skirt, which emphasizes her midriff and breaks up her top and bottom. This outfit is perfect fr those warm summer nights we’re all waiting for!
4. The Weekender: When we spotted Olivia Palermo’s sheer maxi look, we instantly thought of a lazy Sunday afternoon. Olivia’s look is perfect for a weekend trip to the market, an afternoon stroll in the park, or a brunch get-together. Adding shape to this flowy fabric is key, especially when combining a loosely fitted top and bottom. Olivia achieves this look by not only tucking in her blouse, but also adding a thing belt to the skirt. Your waist line is the slimmest part of your body, so you always want to draw attention to it! Even a petite girl like Olivia can wear this look without drowning in the fabric, by keeping it sheer, light and belted!
5. Fashion Forward: Once you get a little more comfortable with wearing a maxi skit, you can start playing around with different combinations.We really love the way Olivia put this country-chic look together. Of course, the basics are still there – show a little skin, belt your look, and use sheer fabric – but its totally different way of wearing the maxi skirt!
Ladies, get out there and get your first, third or 10th maxi skirt. This trend is here and its here to stay!