Do you ever find yourself flipping though fashion magazines and marvelling at the beautifully put-together looks, showing strong contrasting colours and prints and then you try to recreate the look yourself and find it completely impossible? This happens to us all the time!
Colour Blocking is not a revolutionary concept anymore. Fashion houses, bloggers and celebrities have all embraced this colourful trend and mastered the art of colour blocking . Yet, so many girls, us included, find it so difficult to play with colours.
The problem is that most of us are used to playing safe when it comes to fashion – sticking with neutrals and adding only splashes of colours to the look. Its hard for us to step into the current colour revolution and throw the rules out the door! But ladies, its time to start playing by a new set of rules. Understanding a few simple colour principles actually results in some really amazing styling! We’ve put together a little 101 guide to colour blocking to help you recreate your own looks.
RULE #1 : USE FLATTERING AND COMPLIMENTARY COLOURS
- Make sure that you combine colours from the same family for a harmonious look – For example you can create some amazing combinations by pairing bright pinks with vivid fuchsias, or turquoise with royal blue!
- Stick to the same tone – by keeping warmer tones like orange and red together
RULE #2: DON’T BE AFRAID TO MIX UP CONTRASTING COLOURS
- Think of colour combos that you find on opposite sides of the colour wheel- try putting a regal purple skirt with a contrasting fiery orange blouse- the result will be amazing
- If you would like something to go with the spring pastel trend- try lime green with melon or rosebud pink for a pleasantly jarring combination
RULE #3: GO FOR NEUTRAL SHOES /BAG
- With all these colours in your outfit, its totally fine to throw in a splash of neutral. Whether you are wearing coloured denim or a complete colour-blocked outfit, the best way to balance it all out is with a pair of neutral shoes – we’re thinking nudes and blacks. Once you’ve mastered the art of colour blocking, you can start exploring different shoe/bag options, but as a beginner, we believe that neutrals are the way to go!
Hopefully, that will help you out! We will definitely use our own advice in colour blocking and come up with some amazing looks to share with you ladies. In the mean time, we would love to hear your thoughts on colour blocking!